Here’s a little clip floating around the interwebz:
Where to begin? I originally thought, for about the first 2/3rds of this, that is was a brilliant send-up of the whinging critical race theory-spawned idiots i used to deal with during my doctoral work, but no — this is the kind of earnest slop that comes out of youthful inexperience suckled at the teat of ideologically-crafted self-hated.
So, to address the salient points:
1) “White guys” are not mustache-twirling villains, but neither are they clueless morons who “just don’t get it.” To think of these whinging stereotypes as indicative of vast sea of melanin-impaired males is just as racist and sexist as any other stereotype.
2) Apologizing for some natural evil based on color or gender — something that humanists have worked toward eradicating for six centuries — is highly presumptuous, and dare i say, racist and sexist. These prats don’t speak for me, and I’m much more likely to poke vicious fun at them than I am the folks I know who are homosexual, black, Hispanic, female, or any other group you might want to bust on.
3) This idea of the clueless white male secure in his privilege to the point of complaining about reverse racism has been expressed much more accurately and smartly by John Scalzi, who compares real life to a computer roleplaying game:
In the role playing game known as The Real World, “Straight White Male” is the lowest difficulty setting there is…You can lose playing on the lowest difficulty setting. The lowest difficulty setting is still the easiest setting to win on. The player who plays on the “Gay Minority Female” setting? Hardcore…All things being equal, and even when they are not, if the computer — or life — assigns you the “Straight White Male” difficulty setting, then brother, you’ve caught a break.
You’ve caught a break — if you lose at the game of Real World, you probably were playing badly. Too bad you don’t get to play again (that we know of…)
Scalzi is right…if you live in Caucasian societies. The same could be said of the Straight Japanese Male in Tokyo, with the Korean Female as the hardest setting. Or try Black Muslim Homosexual in China. Or any other religion but Muslim Male in the Middle East. The assumption that white male privilege is universal is a holdover from the post-colonial frameworks of race, and they are sadly outdated now.
4) If you really feel bad about your privilege, there are two things you can do — just treat everyone the same, which I would suggest has been the norm since about 1980 for a great many middle-class white folks; or you can really sack up and try living as an atheist white dude in Yemen.
5) Weren’t we supposed to be absolved of our white guilt by the election of a (half) black president? How’d that work out?Which brings me to the really controversial notion that if you are bitching about the white guy, who didn’t get a choice of what setting to play (or where to play it), rather than upping your game to win Real World, you are wasting time, energy, and doing more damage to your self-worth than any Apple-using bearded Jewish hipster or blond workout star.
If you think these guys hate you and are trying to hold you down, here’s how you bet them: succeed. However, if your motivation is extrinsic — to get one over on people who either hate you, or are too wrapped up in their life to worry about you — you’re never going to be happy.
Be your best self.